A. SOS (Support Our Students)
The SOS Fund was created by the Synod to offer congregations and individuals the opportunity to financially support candidates studying for ministry. Designated funds should be forwarded to the Synod Office.
B. The Endowment Fund Program
The Bishop Stephen P. Kristenson Seminarian Endowment Fund was established in 2006 by the Synod of Alberta and the Territories (“the Synod”) to celebrate the ministry of Bishop Stephen P. Kristenson, Bishop of the Synod from 1994 to 2006. In his twelve years of service as Bishop, he and his wife Jane, contributed significantly to the life of the Synod especially in the area of advanced administration, leadership in governance, and wise and dedicated pastoral oversight of the congregations. The purpose of this Fund is to assist those who are involved in seminary training leading to ordained and diaconal ministry.
The Bishop Stephen P. Kristenson Seminarian Endowment Fund is directed and administered by the Executive Committee of Synod Council and managed by the Edmonton Community Foundation (“the Foundation”) as a named fund under the terms of a fund agreement between the Synod and the Foundation.The Fund seeks to make awards to Alberta students in pursuit of a vocation as an ordained or diaconal minister of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. Awards will be made annually and will be based upon funds available from the income of the endowment. Recipients are eligible to re-apply in subsequent years while attending seminary on a full-time or part-time basis.Eligibility
The following general criteria will apply to awards:
- Recipients of awards are engaged in or beginning studies in pursuit of a vocation as an ordained or diaconal minister at a seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
- Recipients must be a member of a congregation of the Synod of Alberta and the Territories.
- Awards will be based upon:
Participation in the church community
4. A photograph suitable for publication in the Alberta Synod section of the “Canada Lutheran” and written permission to publish this photo, if successful.
5. Applications will only be considered if all information required is complete.
6. The applications are due by January 1st and Sept 1st of the year in which the award is sought. No time extension is allowed.
Awards will be granted twice yearly by the Synod’s Candidacy Committee. The Committee shall receive the applications through the Synod office. For further information regarding donations to the Fund or an application for funds, please call the Synod Office.