2019 Synod Special Appeals for the Festive Season
A) Our Synod’s Global Mission Ministry Team, in conversation with our Global Missions Companion IELC0 (The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Colombia) has now finalized agreements to provide financial support for three IELCO determined projects:
- Caracoli: a community engagement and adult program via the Caracoli Lutheran Congregation within Bogata
- Lutheran School Scholarships
- Theological Student Scholarships
B) Pipe Organ Restoration at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Whitehorse
On the afternoon of 29 March 2017, a fire destroyed the console of the organ. Fortunately, the fire was confined to the organ console and no one was injured. Trinity’s insurance will pay for the replacement of the console, however an additional $72,500 is required above insurance funds for repairs and refurbishment to bring the organ to complete restoration.
- 13% supports the seminary in Saskatoon as it trains new pastors;
- 32% supports Synod Ministry Teams, such as campus ministries, mental health, and right relationships; workshops on areas such as “being a welcoming congregation”, training for church council leaders, stewardship; organization of pastors and lay workers annual study conference; biennial conventions; missional training for congregations; advocacy work on social issues; communication through the “Canada Lutheran” and this web page; biennial youth gatherings and more
- 37% supports Synod administration such as Synod council and Area Deans expenses; bishop’s presence in the congregations throughout this Synod; call process management; rent, postage and supplies for running the Synod office; staff salaries; discretionary fund support for crises
- 18% is forwarded to the national church (Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada) for use such as administration and staff expenses; working with synods to support congregations; ecumenical relations; assistance in the area of Lutheran World Federation and support of world missionaries.
Our bank has informed us that effective April 1, 2017, cheques that are sent to the Synod, and not filled out appropriately with our legal name, will not be able to be deposited to our account and will be returned.
Please pass on this information to your congregational treasurer/bookkeeper!
Thank you for your assistance with this.