You – a Missionary
Are you looking for opportunities to serve as an ambassador for the gospel outside of Canada? These options are available to you, depending on the length of time that you are interested in serving:
- International Volunteers Service from Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) has opportunities to serve for periods from six months to two years. For more information, check out their website at www.clwr.org
- Our sister church in the USA – the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has opportunities for people who want to serve for only a few months, several months or years. Go to their website www.elca.org/globalmission and then follow the prompt to ‘global service’.
- Two organizations that fill cross-cultural volunteer positions are based in the Synod of Alberta and the Territories – “Lutheran Association of Missionaries and Pilots” (LAMP) Canada flies into northern Canadian communities each summer to offer vacation Bible school sessions, for more information, check their website – www.lampministry.org; and “On Eagle’s Wings” offers a similar program and hosts another information website –www.oneagleswings.org
- remember that you are a missionary to your family, friends and the person next door – serve where ‘you are planted’.
Occasionally, study tours are offered through the synod but more likely, through a congregation who has established some relationship with the Lutheran Church in another country. Some of the study tours that have most recently taken place or are about to take place, are listed below:
- “Mission to Colombia” visited that country, our ‘Companion Synod’, early in 2005 as well as in the summer of 2013. For a complete report by Bishop Larry Kochendorfer and to view pictures of this mission, please check another area of this site – Ministries – World Missions – Colombia Synod.
- El Salvador is the focus of cultural exchange and support for the congregation of Hosanna Lutheran in Edmonton. Contact them for more information.
- Canadian Lutheran World Relief organizes an annual “Tour of Discovery” group trip to overseas countries where they have development projects. For details about these trips, look at their website at www.clwr.org or call them toll free at 1-800-661-2597.